Never in a million years did I think I would take the plunge into getting adult braces…but here we are braced up and embracing the journey. For me, there were SO MANY emotions as I was making the decision to get adult braces. Why are there so many WEIRD feelings around having braces, especially as an adult? After all it’s literally TEMPORARY and an investment towards improving yourself. It’s been interesting to observe myself through this process and the resistance and mental roadblocks that have come up along the way. I want to talk openly and honestly about the experience of figuring life out with adult braces and hopefully help someone else find confidence in their own experience.
I’m sure I’m not the only one who has or will struggle with the idea of getting braces as an adult, so I wanted to share some insight as to what helped me get started on my journey and not cancel the appointment…
1. Get connected with people in the adult braces community BEFORE you get braces. It’s inspiring and encouraging to see other people rocking their braces, getting their braces off and they give really great advice.
2. Make sure you’re PREPARED before your appointment, get all the supplies, food and everything you need to take care of all this new hardware in your mouth. I would have felt extremely overwhelmed going home after getting braces and still having to go to the store and try and figure out how to take care of these dang things. Watch some youtube videos on products you need, how to use them and what to expect that way you know what you’re going into on your big day!
3. Take your “before” photos. Capture those up-close photos of your teeth so you can track your progress as your teeth start to shift. Honestly, taking those photos the day before my appointment actually made me EXCITED to go. You don’t realize how crooked your teeth are until you take REALLY UP-CLOSE photos of them.
4. Make the most of the experience. It’s okay to be nervous, anxious and even feel a little shocked the first time you see yourself with braces. That’s TOTALLY FINE! Know that the “shock factor” does go away and you will adjust to your new smile.
5. At the end of the day this experience will be as awesome or as horrible as you make it. You are beautiful with braces, you are investing in your future smile, and you are in full control of how you feel about this full experience! Feel confident, feel excited and embrace the journey!
Follow my journey of figuring life out with adult braces on instagram! @metalmouthmermaid
Click here to see all the products I stocked up on before getting my braces on, I’m SO thankful I did. I will be doing a video soon on how to use everything!